With tax day upon us, here are some fast facts about how Americans feel about their taxes:
- 48% of Americans say their taxes are "too high" while 45% say they are "about right."
- 54% of Republicans and 52% of independents say their taxes are too high, compared to 36% of Democrats.
- These views do not differ much across income groups.
- 63% of Americans expect their taxes to increase in the next 12 months, while 30% expect no change.
- 74% of Republicans and 64% of independents expect their taxes to increase, compared with 49% of Democrats.
- These views do differ by income, with higher-income Americans more likely to expect higher taxes in the next year.
- 68% of Americans in 2009 expected a federal income tax increase by the end of Barack Obama's first term in office.
- Americans in 2009 estimated that the federal government wastes 50 cents of every tax dollar.